Why we like the Plancius
- Following the ship’s rebuild she combines the authenticity of an expedition ship on the outside with the comfort and amenities of a well-appointed 3* hotel on the inside
- The ship's diesel-electric propulsion system greatly reduces noise and vibration, making the journey more comfortable, particularly at night
- A wide choice of different cabin types, including Triples & Quads, all are modern with en-suite bathrooms and flat screen TVs with streamed movies
- Twin gangways on the starboard side allows two zodiacs to be loaded at once which ensures minimal waiting time during embarkation and disembarkation
- Stunning panorama views through the large windows of the observation lounge mean you won’t miss out on wildlife sightings while keeping warm onboard
- Offers a wide range of adventure activities, particularly on the active Basecamp voyages, including being one of the few ships to offer diving
Watch our video tour of the M/V Plancius
What our customers think
Plancius is a brilliant ship, perfect for people who like adventure and exploration and being active when they are on holiday. It is small enough to feel intimate and it means that you get to know lots of people during the trip.
Declan, UK December 2016
The crew on Plancius were fantastic, very knowledgeable, exceptionally professional and very accommodating. I met some great and very interesting people among both divers and passengers. Surprises included the quality of the service, expedition staff on Plancius, and restaurant quality meals!
Erika, Australia March 2017
First and foremost, the entire crew was excellent. From hotel to kitchen to expedition guides, everyone was professional, knowledgeable and hard working. The food was very good, we were never hungry. Bar prices were very reasonable for a cruise. I can't say enough about the expedition team. What an amazing bunch of people who were so friendly and made sure we all got the most out of the visit.
Nick, Canada December 2017
The Plancius was ideal, relatively small, quiet and clean and exceeded expectations. Have already recommended it to like-minded friends of all ages.
Graham and Angela, UK March 2017
The expedition staff couldn't have been better - each exceptionally well trained, helpful, uniquely interesting individuals. The Plancius staff has somehow managed to create a highly positive, inclusive culture that set the tone for our very diverse group of passengers and made the entire experience a very rewarding one for each of us.
George & Kate, Connecticut December 2017
The travel experience on the boat was mind boggling, so many great stories and interesting people and backgrounds. The highlight of the trip was being able to camp on the continent.
Travis & Kalli, Texas December 2017
The services and food on the Plancius were outstanding. The crew even remembered my name, among all the passengers.
Patricia, Canada February 2017
Brilliant itinerary. Early season cruise was fantastic with lovely snow and ice to enjoy. Expedition staff were uniformly excellent with wide areas of knowledge and expertise. Everyone worked smoothly together to get us all ashore quickly, efficiently and safely. The Captain added to our enjoyment by giving us unexpectedly close-up experiences of polar ice.
Colin & Jacqui, UK November 2017
We are happy to say how wonderful our trip was to Antarctica. The experience was fantastic, the entire crew was very impressive, the equipment and ship were top notch.
Mike & Trish, USA November 2015
Overall the trip met our high expectations and we loved every minute. We would gladly take another trip with this provider and this crew as both overdelivered.
Samarra, Sydney January 2016
I am struggling to find any words to describe my trip; I absolutely loved every minute of it. I literally could not fault any part of the trip, staff, food, the ship, landings, other passengers. It was absolutely amazing and so surreal.
Beverley, UK February 2016
We had the time of our lives. We really put very little effort into the research of Antarctica and Patagonia, we relied totally on you both, and we were not let down. I can't thank you enough.
Richard & Claire, UK January 2016
Fantastic experience, would recommend to anyone interested in wildlife and the history of the area. Great informal atmosphere with no cocktail parties. Expedition staff were generally excellent.
David & Jill, UK November 2017
I would certainly recommend Plancius. It gives good value for money compared to many other ships. Good atmosphere on the boat, with the dining room and lounge able to accommodate everyone at the same time. Excellent deck space. Expedition staff were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and efficient. Many landings and great basecamp activities, particularly kayaking and mountaineering.
Tony & Jennifer, UK January 2018
Photos of Plancius
I'm always pleased when customers ask me about The Plancius as it's one of my favourites. I like her modern, contemporary styling - comfortable without being fussy - and her quiet engines are always appreciated by guests, particularly when sailing overnight. Thumbs up.
Alex Mudd General Manager
Voyages aboard Plancius
The ultimate Antarctic adventure, this trip is specifically for the active traveller. Spend 5-6 days kayaking, hiking, camping, mountaineering and snowshoeing, all included in the price. A medium-sized expedition ship acts as your floating ‘basecamp’. Great value for money backed…
By including optional kayaking and diving, these late season voyages offer the chance to maximise your polar crossing experience by exploring Antarctica both on and under the water. Travelling at that time provides excellent photographic and whale watching conditions, alongside…
Rare opportunity to fully explore the wildlife-rich Falkland Islands. An ornithologists paradise, spend time in both East and West Falkland. This exciting itinerary includes renowned hotspots such as Carcass and Saunders Islands, plus lesser known gems like Steeple Jason, home…
*Note that the above measurements are approximate averages and exact cabin size can vary
All cabins aboard the Plancius have a private bathroom, flat-screen TV and writing desk.
Superior Cabin (10)
- 5 cabins on Deck 6, 4 on Deck 5, 1 on Deck 4
- All Superior cabins have double beds
- Two windows and lounge area with sofa and mini-fridge
- All Superior cabins have a sofa bed and are capable of accommodating 3 people
- Superior cabins 601 & 602 have the added benefit of windows with dual aspect
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Superior cabin 502's double bed is pushed against one wall
Twin Deluxe (2)
- Both cabins are at the stern corners of Deck 4 and are slightly larger versions of the Twin Window cabin
- Windows facing to the rear and side
- Twin beds
Twin Window (26)
- All 26 cabins are on Deck 4
- Twin beds with windows
Twin Porthole (9)
- All 9 cabins are on Deck 3
- Twin beds with porthole
- Cabins #302/ #304 & #306 look out onto the zodiac boarding area and people can walk in front of these cabins
Triple (2) / Quadruple (4) Porthole
- All cabins are to the stern of Deck 2
- Bunk-beds and porthole
- Both triples and quads are exactly the same size
- All Quad & Triple berths have their own individual privacy curtain
Plancius Deck Plan
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Full Internet access*: EUR15/20mb, EUR30/50mb, EUR60/100mb
- Telephone card: EUR15/20 minutes
- Ship-based email: EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 10-12 day trip; EUR25 for a 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip;
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate. Aboard Ortelius, you benefit from full Internet access, which is subject to satellite connection signal (expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can sometimes load for minutes). Email communication is text only.
We were right to keep the Twin Deluxe room – best room on the ship!
Declan, UK Customer
I overdressed! I should have been more mindful of the temperatures.
Patricia, Canada Customer