Why we like Le Boreal, L'Austral, Le Soleal & Le Lyrial
- A modern, custom built expedition ship packed with cutting edge technology
- A truly 5* experience, but without the high price tag
- Elegant design, an intimate atmosphere and the French touch, favouring discreet service and excellent cuisine
- By combining high comfort with adventure, they take the best aspects from both traditional cruising and small ship adventures
- 95% of the suites have their own private balcony, a feature previously rare as hen's teeth on older polar ships
- Passenger capacity is capped at only 200 pax for the Polar Regions, making it even more spacious onboard
Watch our Video Tour of Le Boreal, L'Austral, Le Soleal & Le Lyrial
This is a 'Wow' vessel - at least that's what I said on seeing the magnificent cascading glass chandelier which greets you on arrival in the reception area. Modern, custom-built, beautifully appointed and capped to just 200 people in Antarctica, she's a classy act for sure.
Alex Mudd Polar Specialist
Photos of Le Boreal, L'Austral, Le Soleal & Le Lyrial
What our customers think of Le Boreal, L'Austral, Le Soleal & Le Lyrial
The expedition team were outstanding. Raphael Sane is a terrific team leader. Read the full review
Travelled: March 2022
Barrett Weiss - USA
The staff on the ship were kind and helpful, and the food was delicious! Read the full review
Travelled: February 2019
Deborah Merickel - United States Of America
The range of expertise from the 15 expedition staff was vast and we had a lot of excellent talks in the theatre. The captain and the Expedition Leader were very experienced and proved successfully flexible about landing opportunities. There was an onboard dance group, two pianists, a guitarist and two singers to add to the enjoyment of the trip, as well as exercise sessions and dance lessons. Read the full review
Travelled: December 2018
Richard & Anne Abrahall - United Kingdom
Voyages aboard Le Boreal, L'Austral, Le Soleal & Le Lyrial
Special Offers:Swoop has access to the widest range of offers and can help you find the right trip, cabin, & price.
3.5 out of 5
The Great Adventure: Antarctica and South Georgia
Focusing only on Antarctica and South Georgia, missing out The Falklands, this voyage is both rare and attractive. Sail first to Antarctica and then on to South Georgia at a time when the King penguins are in their greatest numbers.…
- 16 Days
4.5 out of 5
Heart of Antarctica
Travelling on board a modern, state-of-the-art 5* ship with only 200 people, this voyage combines the best of both traditional and expedition cruising. Spend 5 days exploring the Antarctic Peninsula in comfort. All-inclusive pricing means luxury at an affordable…
- 11-13 Days
Travelling aboard a modern, luxury, custom built expedition ship offering cabins with private balconies, excellent amenities, speed through the water and outstanding food, all you’ve got to do is sit back and enjoy the adventure. The all-inclusive price provides very…
- 16-17 Days
From One to One Hundred
Swoop has catered for travellers of every group size. Whether you’re adventuring solo or bringing a group of over 100. We can help.
- Working with over 30 different ships to find you the most solo-friendly ships, with the lowest single supplements, and the best solo deals available. Discover More
- With over 100 collective years of Polar experience our team will help you find your perfect trip, so you’re on the right ship, in the right cabin, and at the right point of the season. Discover More
- We’ve worked with all sizes of groups, from large families to small schools. Travelling with Swoop means you’ll be the best prepared customers on the voyage and you pay nothing extra for this service. Discover More
- We are experienced charter consultants that can build tailored experiences for both part and full charters of vessels. Discover More
The four sister ships
The differences among the four sister ships are mainly decorative. Le Boreal launched in 2010, L'Austral in 2011, Le Soleal in 2013 and Le Lyrial in 2015.
Subtly combining luxury, intimacy and serene well-being, the ship has been designed to offer passengers moments to mingle and spaces perfect for peaceful tranquillity for the sense of escape and getting away from it all.
With 132 staterooms and suites Le Boreal has a yacht-like feel. The rooms' interior decoration features iridescent grey tones highlighted with subtle touches of red to create the spirit of a "private yacht" experience.
Through harmonious combinations of fine materials, colours and tones, L'Austral has a unique style and veritable signature of its own. Everything has been designed to create a unique atmosphere onboard and the chic style and naturally relaxing ambiance makes it feel like a private yacht.
Elegant and intimate, this vessel has kept the number of staterooms limited to 132.
Soft and gentle colours: greys and whites combining with natural wood, are the hallmarks of this vessel. Le Soléal brings to mind the looks and styles of the world of yachting, whilst at the same time adding a touch of sophistication. It has 132 staterooms.
An elegant appearance and refined interior design combine with cutting-edge technology to offer a new type of cruising: adventure in a luxury setting.
The interior decoration of Le Lyrial is inspired by the tones and colours of its destinations: a polar ice palette made up of blues and soft, luminous grey tones.
This vessel has 122 staterooms and suites with sea views. It has slightly fewer cabins than the other ships, as deck 6 is all suites. This ship is the only one to feature the Grand Deluxe Suite cabin category.
Prestige Stateroom Deck 4, 5 and 6
- Located on deck 4
- Double bed, large window
- Spacious cabin 18m2 (199 sq.ft.)
- Private balcony 4m2 (43 sq.ft.)
- Private ensuite facilities
Onboard Communications & Facilities
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Internet: Available via WiFi. You can connect your personal device from anywhere on the ship subject to connection signal
- Satellite phone (additional cost).
Please note that this is only for light data traffic. Expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can load for minutes.
- Plugs: European 220V two-round-pinned sockets and North American 120V two-flat-pinned sockets
- Towels, toiletries and hair dryers
- Laundry service (additional cost)
Find Your Antarctic Ship
Choosing the right ship is crucial, given the amount of time you'll spend on board. Swoop is experienced at helping match our customers to exactly the right ship.
Ready to plan your Antarctic adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.