Why We Like This Ship
- The Ortelius has the highest ice-class rating (equivalent to 1A) and a broad, heavy design making it one of the safest and most stable polar ships
- Her solid, former research vessel exterior contrasts with a modern, comfortable 3* hotel on the inside following an extensive upgrade programme
- Choice of recently refurbished and spacious cabins, all with en-suite bathrooms. The generous Twin Window cabins measure 190 square feet
- Traveling with around 100 passengers ensures slick zodiac logistics and the ability to normally land everyone at the same time
- Extensive open-deck space maximises wildlife viewing, while the spacious bridge is a great place to hang out
- Offers a wide range of adventure activities, particularly on the active Basecamp voyages, including diving
- Uniquely this ship has a helicopter pad which is used on select voyages only, specifically in the Weddell & Ross Seas
Watch our Video Tour of Ortelius
What our customers think
The expedition staff were outstanding. A truly exceptional group of people with a nice balance of expertise - biologists, a geologist, historian, photographer. Cheryl, the expedition manager was awesome.
Karyn & Richard, California January 2018
The staff were professional on any level, (we) could not have wished for more or better. Glad we were on a smaller ship with only around 120 guests so we never felt overcrowded on any of the shore landings.
Zoltan & Stephen, Florida January 2018
Very difficult to choose my best moments as all are equally good. The polar plunges - we did it twice. Wow!
Yiheli, Chile December 2017
I have travelled quite a lot but this was definitely the greatest experience so far. The ship was ideal for its purpose and the cabin surprisingly comfortable and spacious.
Charles, UK March 2016
The cruise is almost over and was absolutely fantastic. We were blessed with beautiful weather and saw incredible wildlife and scenery. I can't say enough about the entire expedition team and crew. After two weeks on board, I am so incredibly spoiled.
Phil, Texas December 2015
It all worked flawlessly with the expedition team running all excursions efficiently and with unfailing good humour and enthusiasm.
Lesley & Charles, UK November 2016
It was magnificent. We very much appreciated the assistance provided by Swoop and the recommendations - particularly our cabin chosen by Alex. The organisation of the crew every day to get everyone on shore was exceptional. Everyone provided excellent service Could not have been better.
Prue & Dominique, Australia November 2017
Photos of Ortelius
Voyages aboard Ortelius
The ultimate Antarctic adventure, this trip is specifically for the active traveler. Spend 5-6 days kayaking, hiking, camping, mountaineering and snowshoeing, all included in the price. A medium-sized expedition ship acts as your floating ‘basecamp’. Great value for money backed…
By including optional kayaking and diving, these late season voyages offer the chance to maximise your Polar Crossing experience by exploring Antarctica both on and under the water. Travelling at that time provides excellent photographic and whale watching conditions, along…
Rare opportunity to fully explore the wildlife-rich Falkland Islands. An ornithologists paradise, spend time in both East and West Falkland. This exciting itinerary includes renowned hotspots such as Carcass and Saunders Islands, plus lesser known gems like Steeple Jason, home…
What I like about The Ortelius is the unmistakable tang of her original working ship roots as soon as you board, in spite of extensive recent refurbishment throughout. The pleasing result is the feeling of being on a real expedition, but without the traditional discomfort and months at sea.
Alex Mudd General Manager
*Note that the above measurements are approximate averages and exact cabin size can vary
All cabins are outside-facing, are en-suite and contain a writing desk and chair.
- All 6 cabins are on the top deck (5)
- Double bed with at least 2 windows (cabin 520 has 4 windows facing the bow)
- Cabins 509 & 529 have an interconnecting door and are ideal for families
- Sitting area with flat screen TV, sofa-bed, mini-fridge, tea- and coffee-maker
- Both 518 & 520 cabins have a partially obstructed view
- Cabin 521 has the bonus of dual aspect windows (facing bows and port side) and unobstructed views
- Both cabins are on Deck 5
- Twin beds
- Windows to the side and stern
- Both 510 & 528 cabins have a partially obstructed view to the stern
- Small sofa, flat screen TV, mini-fridge and tea- and coffee-maker
Twin Window (12)
- All 12 cabins are on Deck 5
- Twin beds and 2 small windows
- Small sofa
Twin Porthole (27)
- 22 cabins on Deck 4 and 3 on Deck 3
- 2 lower berths
- Twin portholes
Triple (2) / Quadruple (4) Porthole
- All cabins on Deck 3
- Twin portholes
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Full Internet access*: EUR15/20mb, EUR30/50mb, EUR60/100mb
- Telephone card: EUR15/20 minutes
- Ship-based email: EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 10-12 day trip; EUR25 for a 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip;
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate. Aboard Ortelius, you benefit from full Internet access, which is subject to satellite connection signal (expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can sometimes load for minutes). Email communication is text only.