Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 6 days exploring Antarctica
- We love this ship’s fast speed, large expeditionary team and its stabilisers which reduce roll at sea
- Photographic gear which guests can loan and an onboard ROV submersible for underwater pictures
- The only ship to offer complimentary kayaking and to have so many single cabins
- Optional pre-embarkation hotel stay and charter flights (additional cost)
Day 1: Fly to Buenos Aires or Santiago (Optional – Additional Cost)
Depart U.S. this evening on an overnight flight to Buenos Aires (Argentina) or Santiago (Chile).
Day 2: Fly to Buenos Aires or Santiago (Optional – Additional Cost)
Arrive in Buenos Aires, set on the Rio de la Plata, and check in to the fine Alvear Art Hotel (or similar). In the afternoon, we have a guided overview of the city, seeing its Beaux Arts palaces, grand boulevards, and the famous balcony forever associated with Eva Peron. In the early evening we gather for an informal reception and a drink at the hotel.
Arrive in Santiago and check in to the fine Mandarin Oriental (or similar), centrally located and have the morning to relax. Santiago is nearly surrounded by the Andes, which form an inspiring backdrop to our afternoon guided overview of this vibrant city. We explore the Plaza de Armas, the main square, and nearby Presidential Palace, enjoying wonderful views from the many hills that dot the city. In the early evening we gather for an informal reception and a drink at the hotel.
Day 3: Fly to Ushuaia (Optional – Additional Cost)
If you have booked the optional flights to Ushuaia you will fly by private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina. The morning's LAN charter flight offers some rare views as we fly over the vividly rugged terrain of Patagonia before landing in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world.
If you decide to meet the ship directly in Ushuaia, without booking the optional charter flights, you will meet the group and embark in the afternoon. You'll enjoy lunch aboard a catamaran cruise on the scenic Beagle Channel before embarking the ship.
Day 4: At sea towards Antarctica
We awake this morning well into our journey across the Drake Passage. Lying between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula, the Drake holds a unique place in maritime lore. Sometimes misty and grey, other times calm and clear, crossing the legendary Drake Passage is unforgettable - a milestone in any adventurer's personal travel history.
Days 5-10: Antarctic Peninsula
With nearly 24 hours of daylight, we make the most of our days, keeping a flexible schedule to take advantage of the unexpected - perhaps watching a 40-ton whale surface off the bow. We are out daily. One day, you may take a zodiac foray amid towering bergs under a bright sun, walk along the shoreline amid a huge penguin colony, hike to a summit for a breathtaking view, or kayak along a cliff-side rookery in search of blue-eyed shags. And the next, you'll have the thrill of watching the ship crunch through the pack ice or step ashore to the cries of thousands of Gentoo penguins.
You'll learn from our experts how to identify penguins and get photo tips from a National Geographic photographer while watching those same penguins. Back aboard, our Undersea Specialist may present video from that day's dive - rare images taken from up to 1,000 feet below the surface using our ROV. Our expert staff will craft an expedition where you will learn more, see more and experience more.
Days 11-12: At sea towards Ushuaia
As we sail back to Ushuaia, an albatross or two may join the avian escort of seabirds that cross our bow, and our spotters will keep an eye out for marine life. There'll be plenty of time to enjoy a wellness treatment, log some time in the gym, or catch up on the book you haven't had a minute to read. Talks from our staff will reflect on all you have seen and learned. (all meals included)
Day 13-14: Fly back to Buenos Aires or Santiago
After breakfast, we disembark in Ushuaia. If you have booked the optional charter flights, you'll have some time before the transfer to the airport to explore.
Day 14: Return flight (Optional – Additional Cost)
Fly back home overnight. Please note that you will be flying back to whichever city you originally came through, Buenos Aires or Santiago.
Breakfast and lunch are included. Please check with us on the flight options.
There is an optional internal round-flight package and pre-embarkation hotel night (Santiago–Ushuaia or Buenos Aires–Ushuaia). The price of this is USD $990–$1,280 per person for the 2019/20 season and USD $1,100–$1,420 per person for the 2020/21 season.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- A state-of-the-art expedition vessel for 148 guests
- Superior onboard safety features including Ice Radar
- 1A ice class bows + retractable stabilisers
- Onboard photographic gear for loan by guests
- Kayaking available. Free bar & crew tips
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $15380
There is an optional internal round-flight package and pre-embarkation hotel night (Santiago–Ushuaia or Buenos Aires–Ushuaia). The price of this USD $1,100–$1,420 per person.
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add-on's. Limited places per activity, get in contact to check availability.
Kayaking (complimentary) – all departures, basic competency required.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, this ship has a good number of dedicated single cabins, please contact us for details. However, there is no single supplement if you are willing to share a cabin.
Children are very much welcome. Young travellers receive a $500 discount off the voyage price. Please contact us for details.
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add ons. Limited places per activity.
Get in contact to check availability.
- One night hotel (Buenos Aires or Santiago)
- Accommodation and meals while onboard on full board basis
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Use of kayaks
- Beverages, except for certain super-premium brands
- One fully-lined, windproof, water-resistant parka per guest
- Transfers to and from group flights
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Crew gratuities
- Flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation and pre-embarkation hotel night
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Any additional adventure activities
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- Voyage DVD
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)