Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 11–13 days in length, depending on which departure you choose
- Minimum of four full days exploring Antarctica with daily shore-based landings and zodiac excursions
- Choice of two luxury expedition ships, with capacity for 172 & 199 guests respectively
- Optional adventure activities on select departures: camping, kayaking, one-off paddling, paddle boarding (limited places, additional cost for each)
- Complimentary helicopter “flight-seeing trip” and optional helicopter-related activities (limited places at additional cost) on select departures
- Comprehensive mandatory transfer package including charter flights to/from Buenos Aires makes for stress-free travel arrangements. Available on select departures at additional cost.
- Complimentary 3-in-1 expedition parka jacket & loan of boots
Day 1: Arrive in Buenos Aires
Arrive into the elegant capital city Buenos Aires today, making your own arrangements to transfer to your group hotel where your pre-cruise hotel night is included in the mandatory transfer package.
Please note that select departures dates follow an amended itinerary, beginning with an included pre-cruise night in Ushuaia rather than in Buenos Aires. These Ushuaia-starting departures do not include the charter flights between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, which must be purchased independently. For these trips we strongly recommend that you add in a stay in Buenos Aires prior to flying down to Ushuaia for your included pre-night.
Day 2: Flight to Ushuaia & Embarkation
After an early breakfast at your Buenos Aires hotel, the group will transfer to the airport and board a private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina.
Upon arrival, you will be transferred from the airport to a central downtown location giving you some time on your own to explore this quaint port town before making your way to the pier. The ship sets sail in the late afternoon and you begin your Antarctic journey, passing along the Beagle Channel. Named after the famed ship on which Charles Darwin voyaged, keep your camera ready as this is a great location to spot black-browed albatross in the water along with Magellanic penguins and sea lions. Eventually the channel opens up to the wild Southern Ocean, and you will sail onwards to Antarctica.
For those travelling on Ushuaia-starting trips, you will have the morning at leisure to relax and explore Ushuaia. Perhaps take a half day trip into the Tierra del Fuego National Park or explore the quirky Maritime Museum in the old prison. In the afternoon you will embark on the ship and set sail as above.
Days 3 & 4: At Sea
We always hope for a smooth sailing but as the Drake is unpredictable and always changing, it's best to prepare yourself for potentially rough water. You'll spend the first couple of days getting to know your shipmates and we'll provide you with safety briefings and insights into what excitement lies ahead.
Days 5 to 8: Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands
When the Antarctic Convergence is left in our wake and the first sight of land on the Antarctic Peninsula is spotted, it feels as if it is the true beginning of your Antarctic expedition.
This region has long captivated the attention of explorers and travellers alike and you will immediately appreciate why this is. Every visit to Antarctica, we witness something new or unexpected, and your expedition will be unlike any other - creating a unique, personal experience. Each day, we will take Zodiac excursions from the ship to explore bays, channels and landing sites. Wildlife is always at the forefront of our minds: visits to penguin rookeries, scouting for humpback and minke whales and searching for a number of the southern seal species, including the cunning leopard seal.
The majesty of the Antarctic Peninsula's mountains will captivate you, as you scramble up snowy pathways to vantage points offering you 360 degree views of your surroundings. One of these in particular, at Orne Harbour, gives the opportunity to visit a chinstrap penguin colony located high up on a ridge. Here you can choose between going for a mountain hike or spending time sitting quietly on a pebbled beach, enjoying the antics of curious penguins. If you're feeling extra adventurous, you might consider participating in the Polar Plunge swim. You will forge indelible memories such as noisy penguins squabbling over prized pebbles or the boom and crack of a calving glacier in Neko Harbour. Carefully crafted by your Expedition Team, every day will be different and guaranteed to entertain and educate you about this wonderful part of the world.
Days 9 & 10: At Sea
Travelling back across the Drake Passage allows you some final opportunities to enjoy the crisp Antarctic air, spend time on deck scouting for seabirds and whales or enjoying a few final presentations by your Expedition Team.
Day 11: Disembarkation
You will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning allowing for you to either continue your adventure elsewhere on land or catch flights home.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- On-board helicopter facilities (available in selected locations only)
- 4 Zodiac embarkation points for swift landing opportunities
- Nine different cabin types
- 1A+ Ice Class rating
- The most exciting range of adventure activities available in Antarctica, including flightseeing, stand-up paddleboarding and cross-country skiing
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $12795
- The departure on 27-Dec-2022 is 12 days long
- The departures on 18-Jan-2023 and 06-Dec-2023 are 13 days long and include visits to Cape Horn and Diego Ramirez
For 2022/23 season: 18-Dec-2022 and 27-Dec-2022
For 2023/24 season: 06-Dec-2023, 17-Dec-2023, 26-Dec-2023, 04-Jan-2024, 03-Feb-2024, 12-Feb-2024 and 21-Feb-2024
Please note: The above departures have a mandatory transfer package as outlined below at a cost of USD $995 per person which is included in the pricing of this trip:
- One pre-night's hotel accommodation in Buenos Aires, with breakfast
- Group transfer from hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Group flight departing from Buenos Aires' domestic airport (Aeroparque/AEP) to Ushuaia, and returning to Buenos Aires' international airport (Ezeiza/EZE)
- Group transfer from Ushuaia airport to the ship and return (Note: Transfer on arrival in Buenos Aires from airport to hotel at the beginning of the journey is not included. Please make your own way to the included hotel.)
- Combined airport transfer and express bus tour of Tierra del Fuego National Park after disembarkation in Ushuaia
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo who would like their own cabin, there is a good number of dedicated single cabins available on select departures. Alternatively, where single cabins are not available, the supplement for solo occupancy is 1.7 times the cost of a standard cabin and 2 times the cost of a superior category. Please contact us for details. There is no single supplement for solo passengers willing to share a cabin with a fellow same sex passenger.
At date of embarkation, the minimum age restriction of 8 years and a minimum height and weight requirement of 64 lbs or 29kg and 48" or 1.2m must be met. Please contact us for details.
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add ons. Limited places per activity.
Get in contact to check availability.
- Transfers in Ushuaia as indicated
- Pre-embarkation hotel night and breakfast
- Online photo journal of the voyage
- Complimentary parka jacket
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation and meals during the voyage on full board
- Beer and wine during dinner, and coffee, tea and cocoa throughout the day
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to landing sites
- Any flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation not listed as included
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Optional non-complimentary adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature, e.g. laundry, beverages and communication
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)