Why we like the Polar Pioneer
- A maximum of only 54 passengers makes for a more intimate and personalised experience
- Such a small number of passengers not only makes landings easier, but allows for greater spontaneity and up to three landings a day
- Instead of sailing both ways, some itineraries include up to two flights which saves time and avoids some of the long sea journeys
- She often attracts a younger and fun crowd of international travellers
- As well as offering camping and kayaking, she's also the only ship to offer polar snorkelling
Watch our Video Tour of the Polar Pioneer
What Our Customers Think
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The Polar Pioneer crew were excellent and in particular the leader Christian who couldn't have done more to ensure that we had as many interesting landings as possible.
Chris, Australia February 2016
Superb food, excellent variety including vegetarian options, we didn’t have the same meal twice. Particularly appreciated fruit available at all times. The insulated mugs a great idea.
Freda, UK January 2017
Photos of Polar Pioneer
Voyages aboard Polar Pioneer
I've known Polar Pioneer for many years now and she remains a firm favourite. Every one of my customers who's travelled aboard her unfailingly falls in love with this plucky little ship and loves the intimacy and spontaneity of being part of such a small group.
Alex Mudd Polar Specialist
*Note that the above measurements are approximate averages and exact cabin size can vary
The Polar Pioneer's 29 cabins are all outward facing, meaning passengers can all enjoy ocean views of Antarctica's ice-choked waters.Cabins are comfortable and reasonably spacious with wood boarding. All cabins contain a writing desk and hairdryer.
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Satellite phone card: $30/5min; $150/45min packages are available for purchase
- Wifi card to use with email: $5 initial set-up fee and an approximate $3/min of sending/receiving emails. 5, 10, 40 minutes packages are available for purchase
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that communications is costly in Antarctica. Uploading images or accessing Internet is unfortunately not possible - there is only email access.