Day 1: Fly to Antarctica
Fly from Chile to Antarctica by private transport jet. Land on an ice runway. Settle in at Union Glacier Camp.
Day 2: Acclimatise to Antarctica
Today is an easy day to acclimatise to Antarctic conditions. We will have an orientation to camp and life in Antarctica, review expedition logistics with our guide, and enjoy a presentation by our staff naturalist about coastal wildlife and wildlife viewing procedures.
Day 3: Fly to the rookery
After a leisurely breakfast we pack up and fly by ski aircraft to the remote south coast of the Weddell Sea. We land on multi-year sea ice near the Emperor rookery and our guides set up a cosy field camp beside the aircraft. The rest of the day is ours to explore and we have our first audience with the Emperors.
Days 4-8: Living with the Emperors
Experience the rhythms of the rookery at your own pace over the five days. Take guided walks with our naturalist or do your own thing. Meal times are flexible so you can photograph and explore when the lighting and mood are just right. Meals are prepared by our guides and include hot meals and portable snacks.
Watch adults display and feed their young. Listen to trumpeting and whistling calls as parents and chicks search for one another. If lucky, we'll photograph Weddell seals lazing by tide cracks. And at each step we'll marvel at the magnificence of where we are. Each night, fall asleep to the mingled calls of thousands of Emperors.
At the end of our last day we pack-up the aircraft and fly back to Union Glacier Camp, where we will enjoy a celebration dinner and share stories with other adventurers.
Day 9: Return to Punta Arenas (Chile)
The aircraft from Punta Arenas will arrive with a new collection of avid explorers and you depart for the final leg of your Antarctic experience. Our staff will meet you at Punta Arenas airport and transfer you to your hotel.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
|Start date||Price (pp)|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $48,250
No two Antarctic experiences are exactly the same. This is part of
the excitement and adventure of Antarctic travel. The itinerary above
highlights typical activities and experiences. Exact timeline and
details will vary from trip to trip. Trip length may vary by departure
Please anticipate delays and do not plan anything for at least a week after your scheduled return. Allow yourself to enjoy this unique experience without the stress of pending commitments.
- Transfers to and from Punta Arenas airport, Chile
- Briefing with refreshments in Punta Arenas one day prior to departure
- Round trip flights from Punta Arenas to Antarctica
- All flights within Antarctica as shown in your itinerary
- Meals and accommodation while in Antarctica
- Expedition guide(s) (and naturalist or lecturer on some Experiences)
- Use of recreational equipment at Union Glacier Camp
- Official and personalised Certificate of Achievement
- A baggage allowance of up to 25kg on Punta Arenas-Union Glacier flight
- Commercial flights to and from Punta Arenas
- Flights within Antarctica, other than those shown in itinerary
- Meals and accommodation in Punta Arenas
- Airport transfers other than in Punta Arenas
- Personal equipment and clothing (polar clothing may be available for rent)
- Expenses incurred in Punta Arenas due to delays
- Any excess baggage costs over confirmed baggage allowance
- Cost for the use of satellite phone whilst in Antarctica
- Insurance coverage - personal, medical, evacuation or otherwise