Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- A total of 7.5 full days exploring (6.5 days Antarctica & 1 day Falklands)
- Rare combination of both Antarctica & The Falklands, plus a chance to visit historic Elephant Island
- We like this 146 passenger ship for its superior stability, top ice class rating & large expedition staff
- Complimentary camping & photography workshops. Plus optional kayaking (additional charge)
- Added advantage of the loan of a parka jacket, waterproof trousers, boots, binoculars, trekking pole & waterproof backpack
Day 1 - Arrival in Punta Arenas:
Our Antarctic journey commences in Punta Arenas as you make your way to our signature hotel for an included pre-voyage stay. This evening, visit the welcome desk set up in the lobby of the hotel to check in with our representative and prepare for your voyage.
Day 2 - King George Island:
This morning we transfer to the airport for a two-hour flight across the Drake Passage to Antarctica (this flight is included in the price of your voyage). Upon arrival at King George Island, we travel to our vessel by zodiac. After settling in and exploring our new surroundings, we meet the expedition team and fellow passengers. Enjoying a welcome refreshment, we set sail for Antarctica.
Days 3 and 4 - Gerlache Strait & The Antarctic Peninsula:
We will have navigated across the Bransfield Strait overnight, to wake to the towering peaks of the Antarctic continent laid out before us. We have a varied itinerary over the next few days, exploring the Gerlache coastline. There are plenty of activities to take part in as we move through a dramatic Antarctic landscape of heavily glaciated mountains permanently covered in ice and snow.
Day 5 - South Shetland Islands:
We arrive in the South Shetland Islands and if the weather conditions allow, we may sail the ship into the flooded volcanic caldera at Deception Island. History is all around us in this very dramatic place and we take time to explore the old whaling station, rusted old boilers and dilapidated wooden huts.
Days 6 to 8 - Antarctic Sound & Weddell Sea:
The Antarctic Sound separates Joinville Island from the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. Navigating into the sound we get chance to see the vastness and majesty of the Antarctic icecap for the first time; an awe-inspiring sight. We will notice a significant increase in the number of huge tabular icebergs and the presence of sea ice as we head into the Weddell Sea. The massive icebergs break from the huge ice shelves to the south and drift north on the currents.
Day 9 - Elephant Island:
On the southern tip of Elephant Island, Cape Lookout is home to an impressive chinstrap penguin colony and Macaroni penguins breed here too. We will find southern elephant seals and fur seals hauled out on the rocky beaches. If conditions permit, we may visit the historic location of Point Wild on the north coast of Elephant Island.
Days 10 and 11 - At Sea:
Our onboard polar experts will recap on our adventures in the Weddell Sea as we sail north to the Falkland Islands, and prepare us for the days ahead. The rest of our time is spent scanning the horizon in search of whales and other marine mammals. As they soar above the ship, the spectacular pelagic seabirds, including several albatross and petrel species, are our constant companions. Our resident photography expert will show you the best techniques to capture these stunning birds in flight.
Day 12 - The Falkland Islands:
We arrive into The Falkland Islands overnight. We plan to explore the island of West Point and nearby Saunders Island – in the West Falkland archipelago. West Point isis home to rockhopper penguin rookeries and a substantial nesting black-browed albatross colony. It is an immense privilege to observe these spectacular birds in close proximity, on their nests and an experience not easily forgotten.
Day 13 - Stanley and return to Santiago:
From the port of Stanley, we say goodbye to our crew and make our way to the airport for our return private air charter to Santiago (included in the price of your voyage). On arrival in Santiago our journey comes to an end. Onward regional and international flight connections may be possible this evening.
What our customers think
Loved it and yes, it exceeded our expectations. Every day brought a new highlight - tagging the Minke whale, seeing a baby king penguin creep out from under his mom, watching other penguin chicks being fed, seeing an iceberg calve...so much.
Fran & Jack New York February 2018
I have visited 89 countries and islands and Antarctica was my final continent. Without doubt, the Antarctica and Falkland Islands trip was the best experience, holiday and adventure I have ever had.
Nick UK February 2017
I would recommend this trip to anyone. We both enjoyed the type of cruise especially the small numbers of passengers which I think allowed us lots of flexibility without feeling over crowded.
Jane Australia February 2017
No surprises - except a relatively quiet Drake Passage. Trip met all expectations in terms of wildlife, scenery and history. Staff and guides excellent. Would not have wanted to be on a bigger boat so the choice was excellent. Highly recommend the fly in and boat out via the Falklands setup of our trip.
Alan UK February 2018
All my expectations were met and passed, and proved to be the correct choice for me, and I would most certainly recommend to anyone interested in this active type of holiday. The staff were fun always and very careful to ensure our safety at all times, they managed to come across as excited as we were.
Angela UK February 2018
About The Ship
Built in Finland in 1993, few expedition ships are capable of delivering such a well-appointed, comfortable Antarctic experience on board such a safe and ice strengthened vessel. Spacious cabins, modern stabilising and an outstanding expedition staff all help to enhance the adventure.
What really attracts me to this outstanding ship is her large cabins, fast speed and high ice class rating. Few expedition ships can touch her.
Alex Mudd Polar Specialist
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $16295
A direct charter flight from The Falklands to Santiago (Chile) is included at the end of the voyage.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and wanting their own cabin, the single supplement is 1.5 to 2 times the cost of a single berth, please contact us for details. However, there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
Children are welcome. 25% discount young traveller discount up to 17 years and 20% off for those aged 18 - 21. Please contact us for details
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add ons. Limited places per activity.
Get in contact to check availability.
- Flights from Punta Arenas to Antarctica and Stanley to Santiago
- Pre-embarkation hotel night
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation and meals during the voyage on full board
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Activities including camping, photo workshops and yoga
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Loan of rubber boots, waterproof pants and parka jacket
- Loan of rucksack and binoculars
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to landing sites
- Free access to multimedia room and download stations
- Any flights to/ from voyage start and end points
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Optional adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature - laundry, beverages, etc
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)