Day 1: Fly to Buenos Aires or Santiago (Optional– Additional Cost)
Depart the United States this evening on an overnight flight to Buenos Aires, Argentina, or Santiago, Chile (dependent on your preferred departure).
Day 2: Buenos Aires or Santiago
Arrive in either Buenos Aires or Santiago to start your big adventure. Which city you travel through depends on your date of departure - please see further information below, or contact us for more details.
In Buenos Aires - In the afternoon, we have a guided overview of the city, seeing its Beaux Arts palaces, grand boulevards, and the famous balcony forever associated with Eva Peron. (Lunch included)
In Santiago - Santiago is nearly surrounded by the Andes, which form an inspiring backdrop to our afternoon guided overview of this vibrant city. We explore the Plaza de Armas, the main square, and nearby Presidential Palace, enjoying wonderful views from the many hills that dot the city. (Lunch included)
Day 3: Fly to Ushuaia (Optional– Additional Cost)
If you have booked the optional flights to Ushuaia you will fly by private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina. The morning's LAN charter flight offers some rare views as we fly over the vividly rugged terrain of Patagonia before landing in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world.
If you decide to meet the ship directly in Ushuaia, without booking the optional charter flights, you will meet the group and embark in the afternoon. You'll enjoy lunch aboard a catamaran cruise on the scenic Beagle Channel before embarking the ship.
Day 4: At sea towards Antarctica
Awake well into our journey across the Drake Passage - a milestone in any adventurer's personal travel history - with time to hear talks preparing you for the exciting days ahead.
Days 5-10: Antarctica
With long hours of daylight, we make the most of our days exploring the Antarctic Peninsula and surrounding islands. Our schedule is flexible, allowing us to take advantage of the unexpected. We'll sail through the incomparable Lemaire Channel and land on the "White Continent" exploring via zodiac, kayak and on foot, and using our arsenal of tools for exploration.
Days 11-12: At sea towards South Georgia
As we voyage, head up to the Bridge to watch for icebergs and observe expert navigation at work as our skilled Captain and officers sail these historic waters. There'll also be time to enjoy a massage in the wellness centre, workout in the gym, and browse in the library. Each day our naturalists offer talks that add depth to your experience.
Days 13-17: South Georgia Island
This is the final resting place for explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton and we'll hoist a toast at his gravesite. Teeming wildlife and breathtaking scenery greet our ship. Hundreds of Antarctic fur seals are on hand as our Zodiacs make landfall. And at a vast penguin colony, you'll be surrounded by tens of thousands of king penguins!
Days 18-19: At sea towards Falklands
Whales beneath, birds above, as you head to legendary South Georgia Island. Our naturalists will prepare us for the exciting days ahead with presentations on the wildlife of South Georgia, and, of course, the inspiring story of Ernest Shackleton and the Endurance.
Days 20-21: Falkland Islands
The Falklands boast the largest albatross colony in the world, irresistible Magellanic penguins in their burrows amid the green tussock grass and herds of enormous elephant seals. Stroll the photogenic tin-roofed, Victorian-style houses of Port Stanley. Visit the Anglican Cathedral with its organic archway of whalebones, and the Falkland Islands Museum.
Days 22: At sea towards Ushuaia
As we sail back to Ushuaia, an albatross or two may join the escort of seabirds that cross our bow. There's time to share photos with the onboard National Geographic photographer, catch up on the book you haven't had a minute to read, and write emails home, saying "don't want this to end"
Days 23-24: Disembark in Ushuaia and return flight (Optional – Additional Cost)
After breakfast, we disembark in Ushuaia. If you have booked the optional charter flights, you'll have some time before the transfer to the airport to explore. Fly back home overnight. Please note that you will be flying back to whichever city you originally came through, Buenos Aires or Santiago.
Breakfast and lunch are included. Please check with us on the flight options.
There is an optional internal round-flight package and pre-embarkation hotel night (Santiago–Ushuaia or Buenos Aires–Ushuaia). The price of this is USD $990–$1,280 per person for the 2019/20 season and USD $1,100–$1,420 per person for the 2020/21 season.
Please note the following revisions to the itinerary:
- The 7-Nov-2019 and 18-Oct-2020 departures include in the additional flight package the flight from Santiago to Port Stanley, saving one day at sea and travelling in reverse: Falklands – South Georgia – Antartica – Ushuaia
- The 17-Nov-2020 and 6-Feb-2021 departures end in Port Stanley, offering a flight from Falkland Island to Santiago in the additional flight package.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only. Each voyage will vary depending on ice and general weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
- 12 days ‘off ship’ exploring = Antarctica (5/6), South Georgia (5) & The Falklands (2)
- We love this ship’s highly experienced staff and ‘all inclusive’ attitude to pricing
- Photographic gear which guests can loan and an onboard ROV submersible for underwater pictures
- The only ship to offer complimentary kayaking and to have so many single cabins
- One night hotel (Buenos Aires or Santiago)
- Accommodation and meals while onboard on full board basis
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Use of kayaks
- Beverages, except for certain super-premium brands
- One fully-lined, windproof, water-resistant parka per guest
- Transfers to and from group flights
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Crew gratuities
- Flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation and pre-embarkation hotel night
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Any additional adventure activities
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- Voyage DVD
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)
About The Ship
- A state-of-the-art expedition vessel for 148 guests
- Superior onboard safety features including Ice Radar
- 1A ice class bows + retractable stabilisers
- Onboard photographic gear for loan by guests
- Kayaking available. Free bar & crew tips
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your Antarctic experience by choosing from these extraordinary once-in-a-lifetime add-on activities. All gear is provided for you. Limited places per activity.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $23,100 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
There is an optional internal round-flight package and pre-embarkation hotel night (Santiago–Ushuaia or Buenos Aires–Ushuaia). The price of this is USD $1,100–$1,420 per person.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, this ship has a good number of dedicated single cabins, please contact us for details. However, there is no single supplement if you are willing to share a cabin.
Children are very much welcome. Young travellers receive a $500 discount off the voyage price. Please contact us for details.