Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 6 full days exploring: Antarctica (3) and South Georgia (3)
- Begins in Ushuaia, Argentina and finishes in Montevideo, Uruguay (November departure operates in reverse order)
- Capable of cruising comfortably at 15 knots, this 5* all-inclusive ship cuts down sailing time dramatically
- Complimentary domestic flights, parka jacket & open bar
Day 1: Ushuaia
Fly from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (included). Direct transfer to the ship OR transfer to Arakur Resort, located inside Cerro Alarken Reserve, where you can enjoy a complimentary excursion with an English-speaking guide. Spend time in the city, take advantage of the included onboard lunch or join an optional excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park. Embarkation begins in the afternoon.
Days 2-3: Drake Passage
If there is one place, one sea, one waterway dreaded by tourists, researchers and hardened seafarers alike, it is undoubtedly Drake Passage. Situated at the latitude of the infamous Furious Fifties winds, between Cape Horn and the South Shetland Islands, it is the shortest route to Antarctica.
Seasoned navigators will tell you that you must earn your visit to the White Continent! As a convergence zone where cold currents rising up from the South Pole meet warmer equatorial water masses, Drake Passage harbours a very diverse marine fauna. Don't forget to look to the sky to catch a glimpse of elegant albatross and Cape petrels, playfully floating about in the wind around your ship.
Days 4-6: Antarctic Peninsula
Succumb to the magic of a place unlike any other. To this day, the mythical Antarctic Peninsula still holds real fascination and promises its visitors unforgettable moments. Throughout your adventure in this icy realm, you will find yourself in the heart of a spectacular decor in subtle shades of blue and white, surrounded by exceptional wildlife. Penguins, humpback whales, seals and giant petrels are at home here, as are elephant seals, fur seals, Antarctic minke whales, and orcas. Depending on which sites you visit, you may get the chance to observe them and share with them the beauty of these extreme environments.
Each day, based on ice conditions, the Captain and the Expedition Leader will suggest Zodiac outings or landings to discover the infinite riches of the Antarctic Peninsula. Glaciers, ice floe, tabletop icebergs, mountain peaks that plunge straight into the sea, volcanic beaches, research stations, enchanting bays, and vestiges of the whaling industry: these are the faces of the Antarctic that will likely reveal themselves to you, in a hushed and surreal atmosphere. You will sail in the wake of Jean-Baptiste Charcot, Adrien de Gerlache and Sir Ernest Shackleton, great Antarctic explorers who, from the 19th century, set out to conquer these remote and uninhabited lands.
Days 7-8: At Sea
During your day at sea, make the most of the many services and activities on board. Treat yourself to some time of relaxation in the spa, work out in the fitness centre or swim in the outdoor pool. With no port of call, this day will also be an opportunity to enjoy the presentations and lectures on board, to do some shopping in the boutique or to meet the photographers in their dedicated space.
Keen lovers of the open sea will be able to visit the ship’s upper deck to admire the spectacle of the waves and perhaps be lucky enough to observe some of the marine species. A truly enchanted interlude, combining comfort, rest and entertainment.
Days 9-11: South Georgia
Aboard your ship, discover South Georgia, a region formed by an underwater mountain chain that extends from the Andes to the Antarctic Peninsula. All the wildlife of the Far South can be found here: king and Gentoo penguins, elephant seals, fur seals… The excursions will be dependent on weather and time but may involve discovering the majestic glaciers of Gold Harbour and the vast green plains of Fortuna Bay, where you'll be able to marvel at a panorama of cliffs rising up from the icy waters.
If you are fortunate enough to land at Salisbury Plain, you can expect a wonderful spectacle of more than 300,000 king penguins, which you will recognise by the bright orange mark on their head and neck, who have taken up residence here. Amidst this sea of black and orange heads, fur seals and their young can be spotted nosing their way through the crowd. Under the pale austral sunlight that reflects off of the plain, flocks of birds are carried by the winds in a graceful show of nature's wonder.
Salisbury Plain is also home to one of the most unforgettable natural vistas of South Georgia. Formed by the retreat of Grace Glacier, the same majestic peaks that once awed Shackleton still tower over the surrounding land. The island's bluish landscape exudes the magnificence and beauty of unspoilt nature.
Days 12-15: At sea towards Montevideo
Contemplate on your South Georgia experiences as we sail towards Montevideo. Enjoy the the 5-star comfort of the ship, delicious onboard cuisine and take advantage from the rich onboard programme and facilities.
Day 16: Montevideo, Uruguay
Perched on the far southern tip of Uruguay, Montevideo is one of the loveliest capital cities of South America. Admire the beautiful historical remains dating from Spanish rule; you’ll find the most fascinating within the Cuidad Vieja – formerly fortified, its old town dates from the 18th century. The best preserved are the cathedral and the former governmental palace of the Cabildo, both listed historical monuments. In the crook of a vast blue bay, the city is also blessed with beautiful beaches.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- A modern luxury ship for 200 guests
- 5* experience without the high price tag
- 95% of the suites have a private balcony
- 1C ice class + advanced stabilizing system
- Only zodiac landings & excursions
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
Modern, custom-built, beautifully appointed and capped to just 200 people, this ship is a classy act.
John Newby Polar Specialist
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
Prestige Deck 4
Prestige Deck 5
Prestige Deck 6
Deck 5 Suite
Deck 6 Suite
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in EUR (€) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost €14015
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For solo travellers who would like their own cabin, this ship has a good number of single cabins, please contact us for details. However, for passengers willing to share, there is no single supplement.
Children aged 6 years old or over are welcome. In terms of concessions, one child, aged between 6-11 years, sharing their parent's cabin travels free of charge. A teenager, aged between 12-17 years, receives a 50% discount. Please note that not every cabin category can accommodate 3 people. Please contact us for details.
- Flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Open bar for duration of voyage
- 24 hour room service
- Unlimited wifi on board
- Pre and post voyage transfers
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation and meals during the voyage on full board basis
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots
- Complimentary waterproof parka jacket
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to historic landing sites
- Access to fitness room
- Laundry, wake up & photography services
- Flights to and from points of beginning/end of trip
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Optional non-complimentary adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature - laundry, beverages, etc
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)