Day 1: Arrive Ushuaia, afternoon panoramic hike
Arriving in Ushuaia in the morning you will be met by a Swoop representative who will take you to your hotel in the center of the city. In the afternoon you will meet your guide, vehicle and a small group of fellow travelers before heading out of town for a few kilometers to begin a 5hr hike to the summit of Monte Susana. The walk gently rises through the vegetation as your guide introduces you to the island of Tierra del Fuego, its history and landscapes. The highlight will be reaching the summit and admiring the spectacular views of the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia, where the Andes mountains drop-off into the Southern Ocean. Return to Ushuaia for the evening to relax after a great first day!
If arriving into Ushuaia in the afternoon of day 1, you can choose to take this hike on the morning of day 4 instead, before boarding your Antarctic Expedition.
Day 2: Beagle Channel hiking & canoeing, and overnight at refugio camp
Departing Ushuaia by vehicle through the coastal forest, you’ll first take to the water by paddling downstream by canoe, followed by motorboat ride to observe the local Magellanic penguin colony. A camp lunch is taken on a remote island of the Beagle channel, before enjoying an afternoon walk of about 2hrs to absorb the incredible vistas at the end of the world. This day will leave you tired but reveling in an authentic outdoor experience. After crossing the Andes by 4x4 vehicle in the afternoon, you’ll settle into our remote refugio camp to spend the night by the fire to enjoy the camaraderie with your travelling companions!
Accommodation: Refugio camp
Meal: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Day 3: Hiking and 4x4 in the mountains of Tierra del Fuego
Today’s adventure will take you off-road to discover the wild landscapes that Tierra del Fuego has to offer away from the coast. Your guide will lead you on a 4-hour hike to the summit of one of the nearby peaks to take in the incredible vistas at the heart of the island, and lunch today is a box-lunch taken in a suitable location. Returning to Ushuaia at the end of the day, you will reflect on an amazing couple of days, the complete adventure at the end of the world... You will have lots to talk about on your Antarctic adventure!
Meal: Breakfast & lunch
Day 4: Antarctic voyage
This morning is for you to enjoy at your own pace, perhaps getting to know the city and its museums or doing some last-minute shopping before boarding your Antarctic vessel and setting sail in the afternoon. Not many of your fellow Antarctic travellers will have as much to say about Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego as you will! Swoop will inform you of the logistics for boarding your ship and provide transport to the dock area if required. Fair winds!
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
- If arriving in the afternoon of day 1, you can choose to hike Monte Susana on the morning of day 4 instead
- Price is based on 2 people sharing
- Itinerary is subject to change and modification and may not be available every day of the week
- Refugio camping does not include a sleeping bag or mat - these can be rented separately
- No previous canoeing experience is required, but you must be able to swim
- Meals: 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 camp dinner
- Accommodation: 2 nights mid-range hotel, 1 night refugio camp
- Transfer from airport to hotel, and hotel to port - not private
- Personal insurance
- English and Spanish speaking guide during experiences
- Any meals not included in the itinerary
- Any extra/optional excursions, entrance to museums
- International and domestic/in-country flights
- Any visa, passport and vaccination expenses