Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Visit Tierra del Fuego National Park in your 4x4 vehicle
- Take the ‘Ruta 3’ Panamerican highway, crossing the Andes mountains to experience the vast, beautiful landscape of this mystical island
- Roam the raw and tempestuous land on foot - discover the place guanacos call home
- Encounter the Desdemona, one of the world’s most fascinating ship-wrecks
- Interact with locals, who craft a living fishing on these wild coasts, as they invite you to their home for a truly unique lunch experience
- In a small group, you can connect with your guide, interact with your hosts and participate in the activities at a relaxed pace
Day 1: Ushuaia & afternoon visit to Tierra del Fuego National Park
Arriving into Ushuaia in the morning you will be met by your guide, welcoming you to Tierra del Fuego and taking you to your hotel. Please note: hotel check-in times will vary. This afternoon, depart in your 4x4 vehicle, in a small group excursion to the nearby national park, only 20 minutes from Ushuaia. The advantage of visiting in a small vehicle, with no more than 6 passengers, is that you can take your time, with your guide ensuring you have the best possible introduction to this incredible landscape.
By the time we arrive, most visitors to the national park are leaving, as they tend to visit in the morning, giving you a more intimate experience of the park. Your guide will explain about the unique sub-antarctic ecosystem. Many endemic varieties of wildlife can be spotted, as well as the North American Beaver, brought here some 80 years ago, and now resident throughout the archipelago of Tierra del Fuego.
After spending 4-5hrs in the national park, you will be as inspired by the region as Charles Darwin was when he spent months here in the 1830s. The beautiful scenery, the history and tales of the indigenenous peoples are fascinating.
Back at your hotel you will have the chance to sample one of the fabulous restaurants in town offering local specialities, such as king crab, but remember to save a little room for tomorrow.
Accommodation: Not included; can be added if required.
Day 2: Cross the Andes & lunch with a local family
Take to the highway in your 4x4 vehicle on this comfortable full-day road trip, as you cross the Andean mountain range and the island of Tierra del Fuego, to discover the incredible views over the wild southern Atlantic Ocean at Cabo San Pablo, 110 miles (180 km) from Ushuaia.
The varied topography and history of the area are captivating, and as your guide relates tales of explorers and pioneers each turn in the road reveals a different perspective of South America’s largest island. Your stops during today might be to observe flora, mountain vistas or the quirky guanaco (closely related to the llama); and we will always be prepared to make an impromptu stop for the majestic Andean condor.
Upon reaching the immense Atlantic coast, bask in the breathtaking panoramas, which you will probably have all to yourself. Visit the atmospheric shipwreck of the Desdemona: a sailors’ nemesis and a photographers’ paradise.
Lunch today is with our local hosts, as they invite us into their parador (home-turned restaurant). The menu is catch-of-the-day, and will depend on what was harvested that morning. The ambience is welcoming, rustic and 100% authentic, as you get the chance to interact with these truly fascinating settlers at the end of the world. Don’t expect silver cutlery, but do expect food that simply tastes wonderful and served with a huge Patagonian smile. These heartwarming moments are what make travel worthwhile.
Return to Ushuaia, hypnotized by the huge vistas which have captivated so many explorers, and reflecting on a unique day-out, the likes of which tour bus groups never experience. You will be back at your hotel in Ushuaia in the early evening.
Meal: Freshly caught fish lunch (other meals can be organised)
Accommodation: not included, can be added if required
Day 3: Ushuaia & embarkation
This morning is for you to relax, prepare for Antarctica and explore Ushuaia at your own pace. This atmospheric town is a buzz of activity in the summer season with ships entering a leaving port on a daily basis. Take these few hours to visit a museum, purchase a few souvenirs, and enjoy the creature comforts of civilization before setting sail. You may not miss Ushuaia once aboard, but you will certainly be able to share tales of the wonders of Tierra del Fuego with your fellow shipmates.
If arriving into Ushuaia in the afternoon of Day 1, you can choose to visit Tierra del Fuego National Park on the morning of Day 3, before boarding your Antarctic ship.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Pricing of USD $325 does is not include accommodation but this can be added if required. Some Antarctic voyages will include 1 or 2 pre-voyage nights in Ushuaia. Please get in touch for more details.
- Excursions will be shared with other travellers and guides may speak in both English and Spanish, depending on requirement. Private outings can be arranged.
- Itinerary is subject to change and modification due to local weather conditions. If the order of the days’ activities is changed, you will be notified ahead of time.
- Meals: 1 fish lunch - vegan/vegetarian options available
- Transfer from airport to hotel and hotel to port (may be shared)
- Personal insurance during excursions
- English and Spanish speaking guide during excursions
- Assistance from our local partners in Ushuaia during your entire stay in the city
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Any extra/optional excursions e.g. entrance to museums