Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Marvel at Tierra del Fuego’s stunning national park in your 4x4 vehicle
- Take a full-day’s 4x4 excursion into the heart of the Andes mountains, full of rugged and unspoilt beauty
- Tucked-away in the forest, savour a typical Argentine BBQ lunch in a secluded mountain refuge
- In a group of no more than 6 travellers, you can connect with your guide, revel in the camaraderie and take the excursion at a relaxing pace
Day 1: Ushuaia & afternoon visit to Tierra del Fuego National Park
Arriving into Ushuaia in the morning you will be met by your guide, welcoming you to Tierra del Fuego and taking you to your hotel. Please note: hotel check-in times will vary. This afternoon, depart in your 4x4 vehicle, in a small group excursion to the nearby national park, only 20 minutes from Ushuaia. The advantage of visiting in a small vehicle, with no more than 6 passengers, is that you can take your time, with your guide ensuring you have the best possible introduction to this incredible landscape.
By the time we arrive, most visitors to the national park are leaving, as they tend to visit in the morning, giving you a more intimate experience of the park. Your guide will explain about the unique ecosystem which encompasses both mountainous and coastal environments, and will make several stops for you to explore the park on short guided walks. Expect to hike for approximately 2 hours, over gently undulating terrain. The photo opportunities, learning about the local fauna and the opportunities of spotting local bird-life are excellent. Remember, this is where Charles Darwin was first inspired for his theory of natural selection, and will prove a great introduction to the island of Tierra del Fuego.
Return to your hotel in the early evening, taking the opportunity to enjoy one of Ushuaia’s many great restaurants and their seafood specialities - you will be spoilt for choice.
Accommodation: not included; can be added if required
Day 2: Drive across the Andes & BBQ lunch
Today’s full-day exciting experience will take you off-road with your guide, to discover the wild and immense landscapes that Tierra del Fuego has to offer. These remote vistas have drawn travellers here for centuries.
Get away from the crowds in Ushuaia and delve into the mountains, through the forests, on trails that only these hardy vehicles can tackle. Be sure to hold-on, as it can really rock! You will be stopping at mountain passes, panoramic viewpoints and lake-side stops, as your guide explains what makes this area so unique. Endless photography opportunities present themselves, as you try to spot an Andean condor or perhaps the striking Magellanic woodpecker.
After crossing the Andes, a short hike (1.5km) will bring you to our isolated mountain hut where your guide will light a fire and prepare a traditional Argentine asado BBQ for lunch. Take in the marvellous mountainous surroundings, interact with your fellow travellers and guide, and sample the delicious local food and wine; this may well be the highlight of your day.
After lunch, you can take to the water for a short canoeing trip in the nearby Lake Fagnano for approximately 40 minutes, to take in the spectacular surroundings from a different angle. If you prefer, stretch your legs through the forest in this breathtaking part of the world.
Return to Ushuaia in the early evening to reflect on another great day’s outing.
Meal: BBQ lunch - vegetarian/vegan options available (water and 2 alcoholic beverages included)
Accommodation: not included, can be added if required
Day 3: Ushuaia & embarkation
The morning is your own for final preparations before Antarctica: perhaps picking up some End of the World souvenirs, visiting a museum or two, or just stretching your legs before crossing the Drake Passage. This afternoon you board your vessel and set sail towards the White Continent. As your adventure actually began two days ago when you arrived on Tierra del Fuego, you can tell your fellow Antarctic travellers all about it.
If arriving into Ushuaia in the afternoon of Day 1, you can choose to visit Tierra del Fuego National Park on the morning of Day 3, before boarding your Antarctic ship.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Pricing of USD $295 does is not include accommodation but this can be added if required. Some Antarctic voyages will include 1 or 2 pre-voyage nights in Ushuaia. Please get in touch for more details.
- Excursions will be shared with other travellers and guides may speak in both English and Spanish, depending on requirement. Private outings can be arranged.
- Itinerary is subject to change and modification due to local weather conditions. If the order of the days’ activities is changed, you will be notified ahead of time.
- For canoeing (on Day 2), no previous is experience required, but participants must be able to swim.
- Accommodation is not included on this itinerary but can be added if required. Some Antarctic voyages will include 1 or 2 pre-voyage nights in Ushuaia.
- Meals: 1 BBQ lunch with drinks
- Private transfer from airport to hotel
- Personal insurance during excursions
- English and Spanish speaking guide during excursions
- Assistance from our local partners in Ushuaia during your entire stay in the city
- Meals not indicated in itinerary
- Any extra/optional excursions e.g. entrance to museums