Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- The best 3-day backcountry hiking and camping expedition that Tierra del Fuego has to offer for both seasoned trekkers and less-experienced enthusiasts.
- Fully-guided and equipped: your guide will lead, accompany, explain, inspire and organise all the necessary logistics on your expedition.
- Explore wide valleys, dense forests, high mountain ridges, glacial lagoons and stunning viewpoints.
- Suitable for physically fit individuals and confident hikers: hiking about 20 miles (30km) over 3 days, and reaching 3000ft in altitude
- Get active, sleep under the stars and cross small streams; this wilderness trek will leave you on a high before setting sail to Antarctica
Day 1: Depart Ushuaia by vehicle and begin hiking along the Rio Chico Valley
Your guide will pick you from your hotel and drive you to the valley trail-head. Begin trekking gently uphill, passing small streams, peat bogs and fascinating beaver dams, as you immerse yourself in the forests and back country of Tierra del Fuego. You will hike about 4 miles / 7km, before setting-up basecamp and enjoying a picnic lunch.
In the afternoon you can take one of a variety of viewpoint or interpretative walks, depending on your energy and the weather conditions. Your guide will explain to you the best-kept secrets of the forest at the end of the world, and adapt the itinerary to the group’s requirements. Today you will really feel like you have hiked into a mountain wilderness as this itinerary is not well known to the outside world!
In the evening, share in the camp experience as you cook-up a tasty meal before settling into your tents for the night. On a clear night you might like to try spotting the famous Southern Cross constellation, visible at these latitudes.
Length of hike: 4 miles / 7km
Accommodation: 2 person tent
Meals: Picnic lunch and camp dinner
Day 2: Discover remote mountain lagoons and desolate mountain views
After a camp breakfast, set off on a circular day-hike of Rio Chico Valley and adjacent ridges. With the undulating, rugged terrain and the possibly testing weather conditions it will be a hearty day’s trek, as you reach approximately 3000 ft above sea level hiking about 5 miles / 8km.
Incredible panoramic vistas, stunning glacial lagoons and complete solitude, will be the highlights of today in this secluded part of Tierra del Fuego. Keep an eye out for some of the magnificent bird-life which inhabits these latitudes such as the Andean condor and black-chested buzzard-eagles, which your guide will be keen to help you spot. Returning to the camp in the afternoon you will be glad to rest-up, take in the atmosphere of your campsite and enjoy a second night under the stars with your companions and guide.
Length of hike: 5 miles / 8km
Accommodation: 2 person tent
Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Morning hike to viewpoint, return to Ushuaia in the afternoon
Breakfast is taken at camp, after which you have a choice of undertaking different viewpoint hikes, lasting about 2 hours each, for different vistas of the stunning area.
Return to camp for lunch and to break camp. Load-up your backpacks once more and return towards Ushuaia, gently descending through the glacial valley, once more immersing yourself in the native forest, crossing small streams and hoping to spot the shy beavers which have made Tierra del Fuego their home. Your mountain guide will be keen to tell you about the different aspects of life at The End of the World, and after 3 days together we are sure you will feel like old friends by the time you say goodbye. Distances can vary slightly, depending on the weather conditions, but expect to walk 5-6 miles / 10km in total today.
Your vehicle will meet you at the trail-head and drop you off at your hotel this afternoon, as you bid farewell to your guide. This evening you might like to celebrate your experience in one of the many great restaurants in Ushuaia, as you toast to a fantastic 3 days hiking!
Length of hike: 5-6 miles / 10km
Meals: breakfast and lunch
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Price of US$545 is based on 2 people sharing 1 tent. All sleeping equipment (tents/mats/bags) included. Departure dates are flexible, subject to availability of guides. Please get in touch for more details.
A total of 16miles / 25km is hiked. Porters are available for hire if you wish.
The itinerary is subject to change and modification due to adverse weather conditions, and a substitute activity will be proposed. Our guides reserve the right of admittance to the expedition if they consider the participant to be unsuited to its rigours.
- Meals: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, and hot drinks
- Accommodation: 2 nights camping in 2-person tents.
- Sleeping bags and liners, mats and cooking equipment for expedition
- English speaking professional mountain guide
- Meals and accommodation not indicated in itinerary
- Hiking boots and personal clothing
- Flashlight and other personal equipment