Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 7 full days in Antarctica = 14 planned ‘off ship’ excursions
- Only one departure per season
- Includes pre-flight hotel night in Punta Arenas
- Kayaking, diving and snorkelling on selected departures for an additional cost, camping and photo workshops at no cost
- Complimentary parka jacket + post trip voyage journal
Day 1: Punta Arenas
Arrive in Punta Arenas, where you will be met and transferred to your downtown hotel. Overlooking the Straits of Magellan, the city sits astride one of the world’s most historic trade routes. Today, Punta Arenas reflects a great mix of cultures, from English sheep ranchers to Portuguese sailors, and it remains an utterly fascinating testament to Chile’s rich history.
Tonight, we will gather to meet our fellow expeditioners and a briefing on the first leg of our expedition – our flight to Antarctica!
Day 2: King George Island
This morning we will be transferred to Punta Arenas airport for our early morning charter flight to King George Island, Antarctica. The flight will take approximately one-and-a-half hours.
On arrival into King George Island our expedition team is on hand to greet you for your Zodiac transfer to board the Greg Mortimer. You’ll have time to settle into your cabin before our important briefings.
King George Island is located at the northern part of the Antarctic Peninsula in the South Shetland Islands and is one of the most remote places on Earth. A clear sky with perfect visibility is required in order for the plane to take off and land safely, so delays are very possible.
Days 3–9: Weddell Sea and Antarctic Peninsula West Coast
After settling into shipboard life, we will head through the Antarctic Sound to the eastern side of the Peninsula to reach the Weddell Sea.
Access into the Weddell is heavily dependent on ice conditions, and our experienced leader will use their expertise to design our voyage from day to day. We aim to make landings or Zodiac excursions two to three times a day. Days will be spent cruising along spectacular ice cliffs, following whales that are feeding near the surface, and landing on the continent and its off-shore islands to visit penguin rookies, seal haul outs, historic huts, and a few of our other favourite spots along the peninsula. There will be plenty of time for sleep when you get home!
Day 10: King George Island to Punta Arenas
As we approach Frei Base on King George Island, it is time to farewell Antarctica and our amazing adventure before boarding our return flight to Punta Arenas, Chile. On arrival at the Punta Arenas airport, you will be transferred to our preferred downtown hotel.
Day 11: Punta Arenas
After breakfast, bid a fond farewell to your fellow passengers as we all continue our onward journeys, hopefully with a newfound sense of the immense power of nature.
The 3-Mar-2020 departure is 13 days long, sailing from Antarctica to Ushuaia instead of flying back to South America.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise. Furthermore, it's important to understand that the charter flight(s) to/from Antarctica are particularly prone to weather, which requires a flexible flight schedule.
About The Ship
- With its sexy and sleek X-bow lines and ground breaking design, few new Polar ships have created such excitement.
- Zodiac platforms specially designed for quick boardings and more time exploring
- Rolls Royce stabiliser system and polar code 6 ice rating
- Large comfortable cabins
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $11800
- The 21-Feb-2021 (11 days) departure starts in Punta Arenas and flies to and from King George Island in Antarctica. It includes one night's post-voyage hotel stay in Punta Arenas.
- The 15-Feb-2022 (12 days) departure starts in Ushuaia and flies back from King George Island in Antarctica. It includes one night's post-voyage hotel stay in Punta Arenas.
- The 02-Mar-2022 (13 days) departure starts in Punta Arenas and flies to King George Island in Antarctica and then sails back to Ushuaia.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo who would like their own cabin, the single supplement is 1.5 times the cost of a single berth, please contact us for details. However, there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
Children aged 8 years old or over are welcome. There isn't any concession on pricing. Please contact us for details.
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add ons. Limited places per activity.
Get in contact to check availability.
|Camping||Complimentary||All departures. Equipment provided.|
|Kayaking||$1,260||All departures. Basic competency required.|
|Photography||Complimentary||All departures. Workshops with professional photographer.|
|Polar snorkelling||$640||Selected departures. No experience required. Dry suit provided.|
|Polar diving||$1,260||Selected departures. Experience required.|
- Flights: Punta Arenas to Antarctica as indicated in itinerary
- Pre-flight hotel night
- Transfers as indicated in itinerary
- Printed voyage photo book (1 per booking)
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation and meals during the voyage on full board
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell drinks including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes and any entry fees to landing sites
- Any flights to and from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Optional non-complimentary adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Optional adventure activities
- Optional activity surcharges
- Items of a personal nature, e.g. laundry, beverages and communication
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)