Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- 6 full days in Antarctica = 12 planned ‘off ship’ excursions
- Begins in Punta Arenas (Chile) and finishes in Ushuaia, Argentina
- Ease of logistics & a very intimate onboard atmosphere are this ship’s hallmarks
- We like the complimentary camping & photo workshops. Kayaking at additional cost
- Complimentary parka jacket + post trip voyage journal
Day 1: Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams and Embarkation
Fly from Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams, enjoy a tour of the scenic port before being warmly welcomed aboard Polar Pioneer. We'll have introductory and safety briefings before our evening's cruise down the Beagle Channel.
Days 2-3: Crossing the Drake Passage
Ease into shipboard life as we cross the Drake Passage. Our naturalist and paleontologist expand our Antarctic knowledge and prepare us for landings. The outer decks and flying bridge provide excellent space to see and photograph wildlife
Day 4: Antarctic Sound
Access to the Weddell Sea is totally ice-dependent. Calved from massive ice shelves, the tabular icebergs of Antarctic Sound create a memorable sight. We thread our way through waters alive with penguins against a backdrop of breathtaking volcanic scenery.
Days 5-6: Weddell Sea
Weather systems and shifting pack ice dictate our schedule. We may visit the vast Adelie and gentoo penguin colonies of Brown Bluff or Paulet Island and fossil-rich Seymour Island. We may hike to spectacular vantage points on Beak and Devil Islands. We may even reach the islands of Prince Gustav Channel. Wherever we go, wildlife, Heroic Age relics and haunting landscapes await.
Days 7-9: Antarctic Peninsula
We head for the Peninsula's beautiful western flanks to make full use of the late summer daylight hours and relatively ice-free waters. Wildlife stops on offshore islands, visiting historic huts and Zodiac cruising amidst bergs and whales are all possibilities. We'll also listen carefully for the otherworldly courtship song of the Leopard seal.
Days 10-11: Crossing the Drake Passage
Petrels, prions and albatross accompany us across the Drake Passage. Final talks help polish our Antarctic education before making a ceremonial rounding of Cape Horn, time and weather permitting. We gather for a celebratory dinner as we enter the Beagle Channel.
Day 12: Disembarkation in Ushuaia
A pre-dawn sail along the Beagle Channel and an early breakfast prepare us to dock in Ushuaia. There's time for final photos and to say our farewells before disembarking.
NOTE: This itinerary is for guidance only as each voyage will vary depending on ice and weather conditions, and opportunities to see wildlife. Flexibility is key and all part of the adventure of an expeditionary cruise.
About The Ship
- One of the smallest ships, only 54 guests
- Speedy logistics = up to 3 landings a day
- Time saving flights on some departures
- High 1A ice class + active stabilisers
- Optional camping, kayaking & snorkeling
- Rubber boots are provided on loan
I've known this ship for many years now and she remains a firm favourite with a loyal following.
Alex Mudd Polar Specialist
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices quoted below are per person based on 2 people sharing. Cabin availability changes all the time so please contact us for up-to-date details and information on specific cabin availability.
This trip can run as a group trip, with prices starting from $0 per person for a complete group. If you are looking to join a group or you are a solo traveller we will help to form likeminded groups of travellers. Please let us know your travel plans.
The trip can also run on a private basis to fit around your plans. Departures may be tailored and can be set up on a date of your choice. Please note that there is a higher price for smaller groups. Please enquire for further details.
Single Supplement And Child Policy
For those travelling solo and want their own cabin, the single supplement is 1.7 times the cost of a single berth, please contact us for details. However there is no single supplement for passengers willing to share a cabin.
Children aged 8 years old or over are welcome. There isn't any concession on pricing.
Optional Adventure Activities
Enhance your trip with the following add ons. Limited places per activity.
Get in contact to check availability.
- Flight P. Arenas/P. Williams + city tour
- Transfers as indicated
- Printed voyage photo book (1 per booking)
- Antarctic wildlife guide
- Complimentary parka jacket
- Voyage aboard the vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- Accommodation & meals during the voyage on full board
- All shore excursions and zodiac activities
- Educational lectures by expert onboard polar guides
- Access to an onboard doctor and basic medical services
- Loan of rubber boots for the voyage's duration
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port taxes & any entry fees to landing sites
- Any flights to & from points of embarkation/disembarkation
- Any additional pre/post land services, including meals
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Optional non-complimentary adventure activities (e.g. kayaking)
- Visa, passport and any vaccination expenses
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Personal Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature, e.g. laundry, beverages & communication
- Customary staff gratuity at the end of the voyage
- Additional onboard purchases (i.e. gift shop)