Why We Like This Ship
- Following the ship’s rebuild she combines the authenticity of an expeditionary ship on the outside with the comfort and amenities of a well-appointed 3* hotel on the inside
- The ship's diesel-electric propulsion system greatly reduces noise and vibration, making the journey more comfortable, particularly at night
- A wide choice of different cabin types, including Triples & Quads, all are modern with en-suite bathrooms and flat screen TVs with streamed movies
- Twin gangways on the starboard side allows two zodiacs to be loaded at once which ensures minimal waiting time during embarkation and disembarkation
- Stunning panorama views through the large windows of the observation lounge mean you won’t miss out on wildlife sightings while keeping warm onboard
- Offers a wide range of adventure activities, particularly on the active Basecamp voyages, including being one of the few ships to offer diving
Photos of Plancius
What Our Customers Think
Plancius is a brilliant ship, perfect for people who like adventure and exploration and being active when they are on holiday. It is small enough to feel intimate and it means that you get to know lots of people during the trip.
Declan, UK December 2016
The services and food on the Plancius were outstanding. The crew even remembered my name, among all the passengers.
Patricia, Canada February 2017
The crew on Plancius were fantastic, very knowledgeable, exceptionally professional and very accommodating. I met some great and very interesting people among both divers and passengers. Surprises included the quality of the service, expedition staff on Plancius, and restaurant quality meals!
Erika, Australia March 2017
We are happy to say how wonderful our trip was to Antarctica. The experience was fantastic, the entire crew was very impressive, the equipment and ship were top notch.
Mike & Trish, USA November 2015
Overall the trip met our high expectations and we loved every minute. We would gladly take another trip with this provider and this crew as both overdelivered.
Samarra, Sydney January 2016
I am struggling to find any words to describe my trip; I absolutely loved every minute of it. I literally could not fault any part of the trip, staff, food, the ship, landings, other passengers. It was absolutely amazing and so surreal.
Beverley, UK February 2016
We had the time of our lives. We really put very little effort into the research of Antarctica and Patagonia, we relied totally on you both, and we were not let down. I can't thank you enough.
Richard & Claire, London January 2016
The Plancius was ideal, relatively small, quiet and clean and exceeded expectations. Have already recommended it to like-minded friends of all ages.
Graham and Angela UK March 2017
Voyages aboard Plancius
The ultimate Antarctic adventure, this trip is specifically for the active traveler. Spend 5-6 days kayaking, hiking, camping, mountaineering and snowshoeing, all included in the price. A medium-sized expeditionary ship acts as your floating ‘basecamp’. Great value for money backed…
With two medium-sized expedition ships and regular departure dates throughout the season to choose from, this well priced voyage is a popular option. For the adventurous, optional kayaking or camping come highly recommended by past…
By including optional kayaking and diving, this March voyage offers the chance to maximise your Polar Crossing experience by exploring Antarctica both on and under the water. Travelling during late season provides excellent photographic and whale watching conditions, alongside the…
This must be one of the world’s last great sea voyages - sailing from Antarctica up through the South Atlantic Ocean, visiting remote islands en route. Departing mid-March, it’s a 28 or 37 day long voyage depending on whether you…
Setting sail early in the season, be aboard one of the first ship's to head south as the Southern Ocean re-opens for business. It's a special time in South Georgia with the beaches packed with breeding Elephant Seals, while Antarctica…
With a good choice of departure dates through the season across two medium-sized sister ships, this 19-day or 20-day trip stands out for its value for money, bonus inclusion of the little visited South Orkney Islands in the trip itinerary…
I'm always pleased when customers ask me about The Plancius as it's one of my favourites. I like her modern, contemporary styling - comfortable without being fussy - and her quiet engines are always appreciated by guests, particularly when sailing overnight. Thumbs up.
Alex Mudd General Manager
*Note that the above measurements are approximate averages and exact cabin size can vary
All cabins aboard the Plancius have a private bathroom, flat-screen TV and writing desk.
Superior Cabin (10)
- 5 cabins on Deck 6, 4 on Deck 5, 1 on Deck 4
- All Superior cabins have double beds
- Two windows and lounge area with sofa and mini-fridge
- All Superior cabins have a sofa bed and are capable of accommodating 3 people
- Superior cabins 601 & 602 have the added benefit of windows with dual aspect
- Superior cabin 606 is the largest cabin on the ship
- Superior cabin 502's double bed is pushed against one wall
Twin Deluxe (2)
- Both cabins are at the stern corners of Deck 4 and are slightly larger versions of the Twin Window cabin
- Windows facing to the rear and side
- Twin beds
Twin Window (26)
- All 26 cabins are on Deck 4
- Twin beds with windows
Twin Porthole (9)
- All 9 cabins are on Deck 3
- Twin beds with porthole
- Cabins #302/ #304 & #306 have a partially obstructed outside view as they look out on to the zodiac boarding area and people can walk in front of these cabins
Triple (2) / Quadruple (4) Porthole
- All cabins are to the stern of Deck 2
- Bunk-beds and porthole
- Both triples and quads are exactly the same size
- All Quad & Triple berths have their own individual privacy curtain
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Full Internet access*: EUR15/20mb, EUR30/50mb, EUR60/100mb
- Telephone card: EUR15/20 minutes
- Ship-based email: EUR15 for a 7-10 day trip; EUR20 for a 10-12 day trip; EUR25 for a 18 day trip; EUR50 for a 30 day trip;
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate. Aboard Ortelius, you benefit from full Internet access, which is subject to satellite connection signal (expect a much slower connection than at home, some pages can sometimes load for minutes). Email communication is text only.
We were right to keep the Twin Deluxe room – best room on the ship!
Declan, UK Customer
I overdressed! I should have been more mindful of the temperatures.
Patricia, Canada Customer