Why We Like This Ship
- Along with her sister ship, the Akademik Ioffe, they are arguably the perfect polar vessels - extremely stable and quiet through the water, with outstanding manoeuvrability and a high 1B ice class rating
- Capable of carrying more people but capped to only 96 passengers, The Vavilov offers a true small ship experience
- All guests can go ashore at the same time, even at those sites with a cap of 100 people
- Focus on service with a high staff to guest ratio of 1 to 4 ensuring everyone is fully looked after
- Complimentary camping alongside a wide range of additional adventure activities: kayaking, hiking and ski touring
- Wellness programme including Finnish sauna, salt water plunge pool, massage therapist and on-deck hot tub
- The loan of full polar gear - boots, waterproof jacket and trousers - is included
Watch our Video Tour of Akademik Sergey Vavilov
What Our Customers Think
You can read about Antarctica, people can tell you about it, you can look at countless images, but it is so much more beautiful in reality. We were so well looked after and loved the crew on the Vavilov.
Kim January 2017
The crew is stellar, top-notch. So helpful, knowledgeable, and safety conscious.
Angie, Minnesota December 2016
The food was delicious and exceeded my expectations. I don't eat meat and was pleasantly surprised at all of the options I had. I also really liked that the lounge area had the viewing deck, it was easy to quickly get out and catch a whale sighting.
Nicole, Illinois January 2017
It was testament to the Vavilov that despite 10m waves, the dining room remained at least 90% full throughout. The ship is built like a tank, the crew superb, with safety being paramount.
Nick, UK February 2017
Photos of Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Voyages aboard Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Spending 5 full days exploring Antarctica, this voyage is recommended for travelers seeking a very stable ship with less than 100 passengers onboard. Additional benefits include a wide range of complimentary activities and a large expeditionary team, which ensures small…
The advantage of this voyage is that it combines the benefits of flying with the thrill of arriving in Antarctica by ship. With the time saved, spend a whole week exploring en route to 66 degrees south, with less than…
We love this voyage for its rare combination of the western side of the Antarctic Peninsula, the little visited Weddell Sea and The Falkland Islands. Time saving flights and traveling on an outstanding ship with only 96 passengers are further…
Searching for a South Georgia only focused voyage with extended time exploring this incredible ‘wildlife mecca'? This is one of only two voyages to do so. Scheduled flights Chile/Falklands return minimise travel and maximise time on the…
Alongside the obvious highlights of the destinations themselves, we like this voyage for this ship’s renowned stability - ensuring more comfortable sea days - and for having only 96 passengers aboard. Combined with a sizeable expeditionary staff and an extensive…
For the most comprehensive and far reaching Antarctic Peninsula itinerary ever designed, with an unprecedented 16 days in Antarctica, look no further. Excellent value for money, one of the most stable ships and with camping, kayaking and photographic workshops. Only…
For a truly epic Christmas adventure, look no further. This is the only Southern Ocean voyage available to offer timesaving flights - avoiding the Drake Passage - at both the beginning and end. Plus, you’re travelling on an outstanding ship…
The Vavilov first took me to Antarctica so I have to confess to a natural bias here. Watching from the bridge as she cut through rough seas really demonstrated her superior strength, it felt like I was on an expedition, and I loved the kayaking.
John Newby Polar Specialist
Captain's Suite (1)
- Located on Deck 5 with double bed, bathtub and opening windows overlooking the bow
- Separate lounge area with sofa-bed, mini-bar and mini-fridge, and tablet with polar literature and various media
- Up-graded bed linen, tea- and coffee-maker and arrival gift basket with wine and healthy snacks
If you wish to stay in touch, even in Antarctica, you can choose from the options below:
- Satellite and VoIP phone card: $30/60minutes
- Ship-based email service: one-time $30 set-up fee (Email can be accessed through wifi using your own device). Please note that the service only supports text, uploading images is unfortunately not possible.
Please note that this is only for light data traffic and that the above prices are only approximate.